INTEGRITY IN BUSINESS
INTEGRITY IN BUSINESS
Integrity is the act of living by set of ethical principles which boils down to knowing and respecting the difference between right and wrong, thereby choosing to do what is right.
Some of the yardsticks to judge a business man of integrity are
1. Fairness and respect
2. One who negotiate a square deal with mutual interest in mind.
3. Invest in people rather than projects.
4. Abide to promise
5. Deliver quality services every time.
One of my visits to www.cowboyethics.org, 10 principles of integrity were outlined
1. Live each day with courage
2. Take pride in your work
3. Always finish what you start
4. Do what has to be done
5. Be tough but be fair
6. When you make a promise, keep it
7. Ride for the brand
8. Talk less, say more.
9. Remember that some things are not for sale
10. Know where to draw the line.
From the preamble of integrity, it is clear that every business is centered on integrity.
Therefore, integrity is the act of being honest and upright in your daily business activities.
But on a thoughtful ground, is it best for one to judge himself or the people to judge him? If he is a man of integrity, I think its the people that should judge one who claimed to be a man of integrity.
So how can a business anchor on integrity be judged?
According to Martin Zwilling, he outlined five factors to judge a business anchored on integrity and honesty.
1. Meet your commitment. As a business man, when you are late with commitment of business plan or meeting with an investor, you lose integrity. As a business man, if your customers feel that you didn't meet your product quality commitment, your company loses integrity. Your view or reason doesn't matter any more.
2. Honest to a fault. This term is usually used to mean honest as seen by other people. Some think honesty is only related to what is said, but not telling the whole truth, is dishonest, evening in court. If you can't deliver a service because of your business mistakes, integrity suggests that you include the real reason in your apology.
3. Strong and consistent moral code. The target here is to meet the receiver's moral code expectations. If your product or process is marginal or worse, you will lose that customer. If you trying to find an investor for your new gambling site, you probably will be disappointed.
4. Treat everyone with respect. No one likes to be disrespected from their perspective. Respect is difficult to define in abstract but quick to recognize by the receiver. Be courteous and considerate to all irrespective of cultural differences, positions, races, ages or any other types of distinctions.
5. Build and maintain trust. Trust is a reliance relationship built on character, strength and ability. It usually takes several good acts to build, and one bad act to lose or build business trust. You need to personalize your business. People do business with people even internationally known brands are judged daily by the quality of their people.
Integrity must start from the top and then migrate down through the deepest level and become the heart and soul of the business culture. If the entrepreneur who runs the business does not have integrity, its hard to see the business as integrity anchored.
Lack of integrity is the easiest quality to detect in people and business you meet. It only takes a few actions or choices to set, but it will take many actions to reset if you go wrong. in business, its one of the most sought after qualities by customers and vendors.
In other to succeed as a business man, you need to have a good idea and the leadership to make it happen and you need to demonstrate integrity at all times,.
In the words of President Eisenhower the supreme quality for leader is unquestionable integrity without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on section gangs, a football field, in the army or in an office'
Or as Alan K. Simpson said, if you have integrity, everything else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
Integrity is always the key
Integrity is very important in every aspect of our life. In our social, political, economic, and socio-cultural life
That is true; Integrity is a way to success especially as a business person, even in everything we do in life.